Skip to main content

Am I "hooked" or knot"? Crocheting Update...

Learning how to tackle a new skill can be challenging, but imagine having to learn by only using digital resources. That adds a new dimension to the challenge and uniqueness of learning this new skill. For me, it was the art of crocheting, and now I am "hooked," literally.

As I began this journey, I was nervous. I wanted to live up to the expectations of my late grandmother. She was an inspiration for this project, but I knew the digital aspect would be where I would struggle. I found it difficult not to talk to my family members that learned her top secrets and shortcuts. Away from the nerves, I got down to business stitch by stitch until I created some things that resemble crochet. But, I kept asking myself, how do I do this?
The first few stitches
I started with just learning the basics and allowing myself to be creative. Berger's (2014), A More Beautiful Question reinforced this push to explore my "how." The book shares the ideas of bringing back creativity and diving deeper into the Why, What-if, and How questions that allow one to channel their imagination. After watching YouTube videos frame-by-frame, I realized that these resources would be the best to help me figure out the basics. I could have the visual in front of me and pause it. These videos were my saving grace because reading the help forums didn't click with me. I literally ended up in knots with my project and questioned my ability. If I couldn't get the basic slip knot and create stitches from the beginning, would I be able to accomplish this task?

After getting the hang of it, I got to business and spent about an hour practicing the same stitch. Well, it has been a SLOW process, and it still is. After reviewing my research into my digital resources, I knew that I would get faster with practice, but that takes time, and I will eventually.

From getting the hang of this, I tried to figure out where I wanted this path to lead me. I felt that I didn't want to create an afghan or something functional. I wanted to learn other crochet stitches because I remembered my grandmother crocheting gorgeous afghans with complex stitches. Once I got more completed stitches and comfortable crocheting, maybe one day I could make one like her. So this is where I dove into finding out how to perform other stitches, like the double crochet stitch. This transition was the design thinking process coming into action. I was able to change my thinking path and find a way to improve on my opening idea.

I felt challenged using digital resources because it was difficult not to ask my family members for advice or peek at my grandma's crocheting notes. As I transformed my ideas, it was harder not to look elsewhere, but I knew the internet would help. This Networked Learning Project allowed me to use something I use in my everyday life, but in other ways. I had to learn how to do something from all of these digital resources. YouTube videos gave me visuals that showed me what to do, while reading blogs about crocheting helped me feel more confident in my ability to do this.


I highly recommend this "networked learning" to anyone because the experience is challenging but unique. It makes one appreciate the power of thought from others in person while understanding the power of connectedness across the globe. When someone Googles a question, you can see thousands of pages of varying source types. The websites and blogs I saw from my initial research were from people worldwide sharing ideas. I was able to see other techniques and tips that I could use to help me.

In the future, I would like to design a networked learning project for my students. I feel that this would be interesting to see how my students would tackle the world of using digital resources. I could see myself creating a project where they would have to use online resources to show the world's connectedness today. This lesson inspired this idea from the field trip to the MSU Museum's Science on a Sphere exhibit. The projector displayed different animations that showcase the environment, culture, and more. The cultural data from Facebook was brought to life by showing people's connections across the globe.
Science on a Sphere- Mary Wever

As we move further into the digital age, being a part of a "network" is part of your daily routine. From your network of people to social media, the resources are out there that keep information moving. For my future with crocheting, I plan to keep stitching along. 

The final product: single crochet stitching

If you liked this chapter of my crocheting journey, please check out Part 1: and Part 2!

References

Berger, W. (2014). A More Beautiful Question: The power of inquiry to spark breakthrough ideas. Bloomsbury.

Plattner, H. (n.d.). An Introduction to Design Thinking Process Guide. Institute Design at Stanford. https://web.stanford.edu/~mshanks/MichaelShanks/files/509554.pdf

Snow, A. (2022, August 15). Crocheting Journey. (Video file). Youtube. https://youtu.be/iO2mPVhy_Mw

Stone Wiske, M., 2011, March 21,. Unleashing the Power of Networked Learning. https://hbr.org/2011/03/how-do-we-unleash-the

Wever, M. (2022, August 1). MSU Museum Science on a Sphere. [Photograph]. https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1lxoKAKlqt5vscbv6fcOWy5dTX3NmmbFR

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assessment Philosophy- What are the roles of Assessments?

What is the role of Assessments? As a second-year teacher, this is something that I ask myself quite often. During my first year of teaching, I had to focus on designing lessons and tests that pushed my students to understand the mat erial. After reflecting on these moments, I have made changes throughout this school year, but there are always ways to improve, especially when it comes to assessments, their use in the classroom, and how they impact the learning process. Assessment Synonyms Image is free to use under Creative Common Licensing. When I think of assessments, I believe they check students’ understanding of the material and uncover their growth in a concept or idea (Shepard, 2000). Tests are the tools teachers use to help gauge where their students are in reaching the learning objectives. This evaluation is vital in the learning process because learning sometimes builds on previous steps. Without a check-in of the learning process, some may not understand the material, as wel...

Why is School SAFETY a growing problem?

Have you ever looked at the news and questioned why something happened? This last school year, I ran into this problem; school safety. Students participating in the National School Walkout against gun violence in Minnesota.  Image is free to use under Creative Common Licensing. I was a first-year teacher settling into my first classroom and the rest of the first that I would eventually experience. Sadly, I looked at my phone and saw the events at Oxford High School in Oxford, Michigan. My stomach turned into knots instantly. I couldn't help but think of the students, the teachers, and all the people connected to that horrific day. How could this happen again? But, one question stuck with me. What if we work with various professionals from different backgrounds to find a solution to prevent the next event? This transformation would require two big ideas: reevaluating the questions and changing how we look at the process. Berger's 2014, A More Beautiful Question , explains how w...

QuickFire Conversations

QuickFire Conversations Imagine this; you are in a room with school board members, administration, teachers, parents, and students. The topic is a new school policy changing for the next school year that is designated to target cell phones in the classroom. The policy has been shared with the public and even made the news. The mock debate voiced concerns from all perspectives, online and at the school board meeting.  Well, this QuickFire activity was called to session where my classmates and I were assigned roles of various members of the Prescott, Arkansas, community and discussed this hot topic. Our spontaneous roles were given to us at random with little information about our new identity, but even more a lack of information on their recent change. After a given time to research, we "dialed" in our thoughts and began a respectful conversation.  My role in the activity was school board president.  While researching, I dove into the interweb to find information from al...